Thursday, October 31, 2013

Independant Reading

Frankenstein


Because I knew more about Frankenstein during the symposium I spoke more about Shelly’s work than Pelicans Shakespeare Othello. In my research, I discovered that Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein, was intended to represent the monster as her self; for, Mary had a terrible your childhood. Also, due to her very unattractive physical appearance men would not care to marry her. She was devastated by the fact that her prospects of marrying where slim because of her appearance. Yet, from Frankenstein, I interpreted her book as her attempt to make society less judgmental of physical appearance, by giving the monster, made by Frankenstein, a large intelligence capable of performing tasks that the ordinary person could not have done. Sadly, everyone who saw him tried to either run away from him or kill him. Yet, the monster wanted to talk to some one and to be able to express his feelings. I explained both of these ideas to our group, and they thought it made sense.  They believed this book was indeed a horror and in part romance genre of book. Both Frankenstein and Othello deserve to be in the cannon for both books involve using morals and in depth material that can be picked up right away. Frankenstein cause me to change my ideas about being judgmental and being prejudiced towards people I know not. Lastly, while we were finishing our symposium, we noticed that our books all had some kind of a love based theme. Plus we noticed that all these books were all published around the same time period. This could have been the reason why these used the same kind of genre. 
Frankenstein
 Shelley, Mary. Frankenstein. New York: Penguin Group, 2008. Print     
326 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment